One Sweet® Pepper Jamaican Escovitch Fish
4One Sweet® Pepper Jamaican Escovitch FishServes 4
1515 Mins 35 Mins 50 Mins
- 2 lb. skin-on snapper filets (about 4)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1-½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 8-10 One Sweet® Peppers, cut into rings
- 2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut crosswise and sliced into thin strips
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 3 thyme sprigs, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns
- Neutral oil, for frying
- To prepare the fish, place fish filets skin-side down on a rimmed baking sheet and pour lime juice evenly over the fish. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then remove and pat the fish dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and allspice. Sprinkle the seasoning evenly over both sides of the fish. Set the flour in a shallow dish for dusting.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, lightly dust both sides of the filets with the flour and add to the skillet skin-side down. Fry, flipping halfway through, until the skin is crispy and fish is cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- To prepare the vegetables, heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, garlic, carrots, scotch bonnet, black peppercorns and thyme sprigs. Sauté the vegetables, stirring often, until they are slightly softened but still retain some crunch. Add vinegar and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- To serve, transfer fish to a serving platter and pour escovitch vegetables over top. Garnish with additional thyme sprigs and serve.
Bursting with WOW.Take me to the berries
These better-than-chocolate treats are meant to be savored, but good luck with that.
Crunchy cukes.Take me to the cucumbers
Juicy, refreshing, and available in a few different sizes, these are definitely not your everyday cucumbers.
Tomatoes, please.Take me to the tomatoes
From kid-friendly snacking ones to the kind that will transform your salad, we’ve got an irresistible tomato for every kind of taste.
Peppers for all.Take me to the peppers.
Sweet, spicy, not-so-spicy and always colorful, our peppers like to keep things interesting. And with names like KABOOM!™ and SHAZAM!™, they’re pretty magical, too.
Certified delicious.Take me to the organic produce
Not just colorful, delicious and amazing, but certified organic, too.
YOU MAKE ME Pasta KitsTake me to the meal kits
Meal Kits to make life easier and tastier.