BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich
4BBQ Pulled Jackfruit SandwichServes 4
2525 Mins 20 Mins 45 Mins
For the BBQ Pulled Jackfruit:
- (1) 20-oz. can young green jackfruit in water
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the slaw:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1-½ cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup parsley, coarsely chopped
- Drain, rinse, and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Cut out and remove the “core” portion of the fruit and discard. Using two forks or your hands, shred the jackfruit into bite-size pieces. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients for the BBQ sauce.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp. of a neutral oil of choice followed by the jackfruit. Sear briefly and then add half of the barbecue sauce, stirring to coat the jackfruit with the sauce. Add in ½ cup of water, cover, and lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, adding water if needed, but water should be mostly evaporated by the end of simmering. Stir in the remaining half of the barbecue sauce.
- In the meantime, make the slaw. Add all ingredients except the cabbage and carrots to a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add in the cabbage, carrots, and parsley, and toss well to combine. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- To serve, place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns and top with another generous serving of the BBQ jackfruit and quick-pickled Yowzers™ red chili peppers, to taste.
Quick-Pickled Yowzers™ red chili peppers
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar (or white distilled vinegar)
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 10-12 Yowzers™ red chili peppers, sliced into rings
- In a small saucepan, add vinegar, water, brown sugar, and salt and bring to a simmer. Add Yowzers™ red chili peppers and remove from heat. Transfer Yowzers and pickling brine into a 16-oz. glass jar (or larger) with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
Bursting with WOW.Take me to the berries
The best-tasting berries in the world.
These better-than-chocolate treats are meant to be savored, but good luck with that.
Crunchy cukes.Take me to the cucumbers
The cucumbers of your dreams.
Juicy, refreshing, and available in a few different sizes, these are definitely not your everyday cucumbers.
Tomatoes, please.Take me to the tomatoes
Vine ripened, hand picked, mind blown.
From kid-friendly snacking ones to the kind that will transform your salad, we’ve got an irresistible tomato for every kind of taste.
Peppers for all.Take me to the peppers.
No GMO. Yes amazing.
Sweet, spicy, not-so-spicy and always colorful, our peppers like to keep things interesting. And with names like KABOOM!™ and SHAZAM!™, they’re pretty magical, too.
Certified delicious.Take me to the organic produce
Organic and amazing, all year round.
Not just colorful, delicious and amazing, but certified organic, too.
YOU MAKE ME Pasta KitsTake me to the meal kits
Chef-inspired, and ready in 15 minutes or less.
Meal Kits to make life easier and tastier.