Mini Wild Wonders® Tomato Tarts
8-10Mini Wild Wonders® Tomato TartsServes 8-10
5050 Mins 35 Mins 85 Mins
- (1) 14.1-oz. package pie crusts
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- ⅓ cup grated pecorino
- (1) 12-oz. package Wild Wonders Tomatoes, halved
- Prepared caramelized onions (about ½ cup)
- Prepared sautéed sliced mushrooms (about ½ cup)
- 4 oz. pancetta
- 5-6 sage leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup basil pesto, store-bought
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- Roll out one sheet of pie dough on a clean, lightly floured work surface to about ¼” thick. Cut into twelve 4” rounds. Repeat process with second sheet of pie dough. Place each round into a mini tart shell (or muffin tins) and prick bases with a fork. Place on baking sheets and chill in refrigerator while the rest of the components are prepared.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté the pancetta until golden brown and crispy, about 7-8 minutes. Add chopped sage and remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, heavy cream, and pecorino. Season, to taste, with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Remove the chilled mini pie tarts from the refrigerator. Fill each tart shell with about ¼ cup of the egg mixture followed by the fillings (below)
- Bake mini tarts for about 25 minutes then remove from oven and top each tart with an additional halved Wild Wonders Tomatoes. Garnish each of the pesto tarts with a few toasted pine nuts. Continue to bake for another 5 minutes, or until eggs are set and golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before removing from tart pans. Serve warm or at room temperature.
For the Tomato, Pancetta & Sage: Top each tart with about 1 tsp. of the pancetta-sage mixture followed by 1-2 halved Wild Wonders Tomatoes.
For the Caramelized Onion, Tomato, & Mushroom: Top each tart with about 1 tsp. each of caramelized onion and sautéed mushroom, followed by 1-2 halved Wild Wonders Tomatoes.
For the Tomato, Pesto, and Pine Nuts: Add about ¼ tsp. basil pesto to each tart and gently stir with a small spoon. Top with 1-2 halved Wild Wonders Tomatoes.