Hot Honey Chicken Bao Buns with Quick-Pickled Qukes™
4Hot Honey Chicken Bao Buns with Quick-Pickled Qukes™Serves 4
2525 Mins 45 Mins 70 Mins
For the chicken:
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken tenderloins, cut in half crosswise
- 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ cup corn starch
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Neutral oil for deep frying
For the Quick-Pickled Qukes™:
- 1 cup Qukes™ Cucumbers, sliced into rounds
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. sesame oil
For the hot honey sauce:
- ½ cup hot honey
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Steamed Bao Buns (found frozen at most Asian markets)
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- To prepare the chicken: In a large bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and ground ginger. Toss well with the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch and all-purpose flour. Dredge each piece of chicken into the flour-corn starch mixture. Heat 2” of oil in a Dutch oven to 350ºF. Add a few pieces of chicken at a time and cook until light golden brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove and set the chicken on a wire rack or a paper towel-lined plate. Maintain a temperature of 350ºF before adding more chicken. Repeat the process until all of the chicken has been cooked.
- To prepare the Quick-Pickled Qukes™: In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil. Add the Qukes™ and scallions and toss to combine. Let sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- To prepare the hot honey sauce: Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add hot honey and butter and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, and simmer until it thickens slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the heat off and set aside.
- Add the fried chicken pieces to a large bowl then top with the hot honey sauce. Toss until the pieces are evenly coated.
- To assemble the bao buns: Steam bao buns according to package directions. Spread mayonnaise inside the bun and add a piece of hot honey chicken.
- Top with a spoonful of the Quick-Pickled Qukes™, garnish with black sesame seeds and serve.
Bursting with WOW.Take me to the berries
These better-than-chocolate treats are meant to be savored, but good luck with that.
Crunchy cukes.Take me to the cucumbers
Juicy, refreshing, and available in a few different sizes, these are definitely not your everyday cucumbers.
Tomatoes, please.Take me to the tomatoes
From kid-friendly snacking ones to the kind that will transform your salad, we’ve got an irresistible tomato for every kind of taste.
Peppers for all.Take me to the peppers.
Sweet, spicy, not-so-spicy and always colorful, our peppers like to keep things interesting. And with names like KABOOM!™ and SHAZAM!™, they’re pretty magical, too.
Certified delicious.Take me to the organic produce
Not just colorful, delicious and amazing, but certified organic, too.
YOU MAKE ME Pasta KitsTake me to the meal kits
Meal Kits to make life easier and tastier.